I'm looking for...

Thursday, July 19, 2012

How to hem double faced wool

   This is the last of my tutorials about my double faced cape. Please read the previous ones to have a spherical view on the method I followed and this one will be a piece of cake, I promise!


   Let me remind you. This is how double faced wool looks from the side


I suggest you do the hemming last on your project, no matter what you pattern instructions says, because that's the only way I can think of, to have a neatly finished garment with fully enclosed seams.

So you already have basted your pattern pieces at double the seam allowance distance


and you have separated the two fabric layers up to the basting thread, be careful not to go any further.


Now all you have to do is fold inwards both fabrics (grey and red) until their edges meet the basting thread.
Press, using a pressing cloth and cut half width the seam allowance, as you did when you prepared a basic seam. You don't have to check the width of the seam allowances, as long as your basting is at double distance the seam allowance your patterns suggests or you chose to use. By folding the edges inwards you are folding the seam allowance.


That was all! Now sew, catching both the grey and red fabric with the needle, creating a smooth edge.
When reaching a corner try to make a pointy edge (if your pattern calls for one) and cut any excess fabric you have to fold inwards, to avoid bulk.


Press and run to the mirror to admire your garment on! Told you it was easy!




Feel free to contact me if you need help.

See you around
Maria








No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...